Friday, March 11, 2011

"That’s all very fine and good, but what does it have to do with flying an airplane?”

watch him, Its better.
 

I had a crappy day. I sit here, "recharging my batteries" to head into another couple hours of studying.  Oh how the Lord blesses our lives.  This is the talk I needed at this moment in my life.  Uchtdorf, I love you.  He is such a master of analogy. Things that struck me tonight as I listened (his delivery really makes it so much better):
  • "Basic elements necessary for survival"- What are my basic elements of spiritual survival? Why don't I get those daily? Meaningful prayer, meaningful scripture study, really communining with God--building that relationship.
  • "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"- Da Vinci--GREAT quote. I love this idea. When we enter the temple, nothing is ornate, but everything is beautiful and lovely.  It is like Uchtdorf said "though simple enough for a child to understand, [the gospel] provides the answers to the most complex questions of life."
  • "I think most of us intuitively understand how important the fundamentals are. It is just that we sometimes get distracted by so many things that seem more enticing."-- This resonated with me because I'm fasting from Facebook for Lent- its a good exercise in self control, but also it helps me with feeling distracted from the things that matter most.
  • I loved his thoughts on the 4 relationships we need to foster: God, Families, fellowman, and ourselves. I especially liked the idea of getting to know ourselves, and being easier on ourselves.
  • But mainly, tonight, when I'm feeling very run down, it's nice to have this reminder from my Heavenly Father, delivered through one of his prophets, through one of his children's blogs...instruments in the hands of God?--
    • "If life and its rushed pace and many stresses have made it difficult for you to feel like rejoicing, then perhaps now is a good time to refocus on what matters most.
Amen. 

2 comments:

  1. I too like the idea of having a relationship with ourselves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great talk, and a really good finals week reminder.

    ReplyDelete